Sunday, July 08, 2007

Current Blog: My busy July

Well, the summer has beem flying by. A is already in Alabama for the summer and I miss her quite abit. June is over and July is moving along rather quickly. July is an exciting month for several reasons. The main reason being Harry Potter time!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was supposed to premiere on friday July 13th-which I took off months ago-as soon as I heard in fact. Well, the premiere has been moved up to July 11th-B and I always see it at midnight the night before it is released-or rather than 12:01am the morning it is released. I think we have seen every movie since the third movie like that. The only reason we did not see the first two that way is because T was taking us and he would never take a day off of work for a movie. Well, as soon as I noticed that the movie premiere had been moved up-I adjusted the schedule so I could be off on wednesday instead of friday-a perk of being a boss for sure. I can hardly wait, I have to admit that the fifth book was my least favorite of all of the books-Harry was such an ass, but still, the movie will have my favorite fifth book moments: Dumbledore's Army and the twins quitting school and creating a huge swamp in the middle of Hogwarts.

The next HUGE event this month is the publication of the seventh and final Harry Potter book-Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. B and I are scheudled to pick it up at midnight on the 20th. We are even ordering shirts to wear to the publication party and I have taken the entire weekend off of work in anticipation. I am also rereading the entire series-I am currently on book 4. I have read the first four books many times, but I have only read book 5 and 6 once-so it will be interesting to reread them again so I can be ready for the 7th and final book. I can hardly believe that this will be the end of the Harry Potter franchise-but at the same time I am anxious to see how it ends. Who will live, who will die, etc. I love the world of Harry Potter, but I have to admit that J.K.R.'s brilliance does not extend much past her world building. The characters have no real depth-the villains are much too flat-they lack depth which would make them frightening. A truly great villain is one the reader can understand and identify with. Voldemort does not even frighten me because he is no unreal as to be pathetic. I also see a definete lack of growth in the main characters. In 7 years Harry is not that different than he was at the beginning of the series. Yet, the world building is outstanding. I would give my eyetooth to be a student at Hogwarts, to travel by Floo Powder, To work for the ministry of magick, to store my money in Gringotts bank, etc. I wonder where she ever got such wonderful ideas and created such an amazing world, for it is the world of Harry Potter that sells the books and movies-definetely not the plot. I recently saw a History Channel special on the roots of Star Wars and I have to admit that the similiarities between Star Wars and Harry Potter were eery. Harry is clearly Luke Skywalker, Ron is not quite Han Solo-not nearly nor as self serving-but Ron neatly fits the shoes of sidekicks everywhere. In Star Wars I would say Ron is actually closer to C3PO and R2D2 than Han Solo. Hermione is not as cute or capable as Princess Leia and awhole lot smarter than her-but still, she is the female rounding out of the trio. You have Yoda and Obi-Wan in the character of Dumbledore as advisor and leader. The most similar of all you have Voldemort as Darth Vader-both inhuman, difficult to identify with and scary looking as hell. I know the history of mythology and Hero's Journey-but still even given that this is modern day mythology in the making-it is disappointing to see how heavily the paths cross. I mean take for example the Dune series. Dune could also be seen as a take on the Hero's Journey with Paul having a great and important future, his father dying which ultimately sets him on his path, etc, etc. Yet, Frank Herbert is such an amazing author that the villains have depth, the hero has faults and nothing, nothing is what it appears to be. That is the Hero's Journey as written by an author of talent.
The last and final event this July is my mom's 60th birthday on saturday the 21st. I am not sure what we will do for her. If my backyard was in better shape I would throw a party for her. As it is, I am not sure what she will want to do. To be honest I am hoping it does not take up too much time as that is the weekend HP is released and I would really like to be reading-not partying!
~~~Where ever you go, There you are!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home