Sunday, October 16, 2005

The changing future of Gay America......the new openly-gay youths................
I get discouraged at times in our ultra-conservative current culture. At this time the powers that be are seriously discussing teaching Intelligent Design over Evolution in publicly funded educational institutions. It makes me ill to even think how behind our children will be in this nation if they are not even taught basic science. I believe that Darwin was not totally correct on his theory of evolution-science has even pointed out errors he made-yet the base idea-that we as human beings evolved from over life forms-is a valid one-I think. The idea that in schools it may instead be taught some garden of eden crap-is horrendous. I feel like I am living in the 50's sometimes when I read what is even being considered. The gay marriage has been the most difficult for me to stomach. I think largely because blacks so vehemently oppose it. It embarasses me how backwards even the most ghetto-definetely-not-even-trying-to-live-a-christian-life-style-blacks are towards gay rights. What is gay marriage going to harm? If you do not believe in it you are under no obligation to participate-but to act as if same sex marriage is somehow threatening the "institution" of marriage is preposterous and offensive. Adults should have the right to marry legally and to enjoy the benefits that married couples enjoy whether they are choosing to marry someone of the same or opposite sex. It is cruel and petty to deny someone that right that you take for granted because they are not living their life in the way that you think life should be lived. How dare you force your beliefs and opinions on someone else. You would not want their beliefs forced on you, so why force yours on them? How does what they do effect you? Why do they have to be wrong inorder for you to be right? Our countries treatment of gays is atrocious and embarassing to me as a member of this nation. Yet, just when I have given up hope that gays will have equal rights in this lifetime, I see an article in Time Magazine the October 10, 2005 issue about Gay teens in America. I do not know if the facts in the magazine are real or true or valid-but the fact that it is even being written and published in a mainstream magazine gives me hope. According to the article the real battle for gay rights is being played out with our kids. It is uncool to be anti-gay and even the most conservative, christian, republican kids are more open to gays having equal rights. The article sites that if it homosexuality continues to be accepted among youths and in schools "the battle over same-sex marriage will be moot" with our kids generation. That gives me hope. That A's generation will not be so judgemental. The article also talks about the change in gay lifestyle and how gays, lesbians, bi's and trans are mentoring the youth in the community. It makes me proud. I know my brother-K-was active in the gay community and activist. I miss him deeply and think about him often. I want to be more active in glb community in an effort to support AIDS victims and children and the community in his honor-but it is just way too painful for me. I hope I can get over that because to help others is to truly heal.
I am glad to see our parameters for sexuality and gender and choice becoming more fluid. I truly believe that sexuality is not an all or nothing kind of thing. I think in reality sexuality is very fluid and most people are probably more bisexual-than either straight or homosexual-if left to their own devices. I like to think of homosexuality and homosexual tendencies as mother natures small attempt at population control-since same-sex partners can not pro-create together naturally. (I certainly think it is fine for same-sex partners to be parents-whether naturally, through adoption, donation and/or modren science.) I think if society were less rigid and homophobic people would not need to fit their sexuality into a category at all-they would naturally fall into what person-not gender-suited them best. I guess that is what has always struck me as the most odd about sexual preference prejudice. If you truly love someone for who they are, you love them whether they are a man or a woman-you love their soul. I can not see myself ever falling in love with a woman-but I would never say it could not happen because as long as I love someone for their soul and not the package that soul comes in-it is always a possibility. And that is a beautiful thing. Hopefully this type of thinking will be second nature to A. Perhaps I will not have to move to Canada after all:)
This is a link to the article in Time Magazine:
http://www.time.com/time/archive/preview/0,10987,1112856,00.html
~~~~Where ever you go, There you are!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home