Monday, November 21, 2005

A Few Zen Buddhist Thoughts on God or Diety:
These are not MY thoughts, but are instead taken from a Zen Buddhist MSN group I belong to.

Most buddists neither affirm or deny the existence of diety.
I have found that to be the case. One of the things I like about Buddhism is the lack of importance placed on diety. For me, buddhism serves to focus me on my life right this moment-the question of diety just is not important in that context.

Belief is the very hindrance of spiritual advancement,it is a pathetic look at spirituality through the mind..when the mind comes to an impasse...we resort to belief ,which basically is "not knowing"...because if you knew..there would be no need to believe.
The proper avenue to pursue spirituality is through "prajna" or awakening of the "intuitive insight"....which is present 100% in all of us...yet "camouflaged" by the fluff of intellect. Mediation is one instrument used to help one ,to peel through the layers of intellection so as "prajna" may belch forth on its own.

Well, I consider this take to be a bit harsh. Honestly, buddhism requires faith. I have faith that I can achieve enlightenment. I have faith that Buddha existed and achieved enlightenment. The religion works for me without the faith-but faith is definetely a part of it.


saying god exists means being deaf for the truth
saying god doesnt exist, means being blind for the beauty
he who sees and hears remains silent

I like this. Buddhism is often full of answers like this one. Keeps you thinking and seeking within.

For Buddhists the source of creation is not a personal God, but the abstract essence of existence. The experience of Emptiness shows people this face of ultimate Reality. The experience of Loving Presence shows people the personal face of ultimate Reality. As for me, I have seen and felt both faces.... the personal and the impersonal.
Genuine spirituality in any tradition is not a matter of 'belief' but of direct inner experience.

Well, I think at base buddhism is bit more basic and simple than "abstract essence of existence".

First of all, Buddhism requires us to see things as they are, and to recognize that beliefs are not facts. The Buddha denied the existence of any supreme creator deity, seeing it as a delusion and as Buddhists take refuge in the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha, belief in an omnipotent creator deity is incompatible with being a Buddhist. This link may help clarify the Buddhist attitude towards such belief:
http://www.saigon.com/~anson/ebud/ebdha270.htm
I agree with the first part of this statement-that Buddhism requires us to see things-and ourselves-as they are. That is simple to say but very complicated to do. I do not believe that belief in a omnipotent creator would be incompatible with Buddhism.

It seems to be irrelevant where we are from or where we are going. The only thing that seems to be relevant is where we are, here and now.
This is pretty much how I deal with issues of deity and creation myths, etc. It has no real validity or relevance on the here and now and is therefore of no consequence.

~~~~Where ever you go, There you are!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home