Monday, October 24, 2005

Behind In My Postings!

It has been a while since I have written in here....and to think I wanted to write everyday. Oh well, life happens, always feels like it happens to me:)
It is getting pretty darn cold here and I find myself not ready emotionally for winter. It sounds odd to phrase it that way, but still winter seems to exact an emotional toll from me. It is dark and dreary and by February feels never-ending. I often fantasize about moving somewhere warmer-like out west. For awhile I looked at Arizona and New Mexico. I think if I moved I would miss the seasons, the changes of the year. I love spring and fall, kind of like summer but HATE winter. I am usually ready for winter to be over the day after Yule. I could even tolerate it until after New Year-but it gets even colder in January and February is seems to linger in March. I just could really deal with skipping a winter or two. I ultimately gave up on the idea of moving out west because I read about a water shortage that is occurring now and will become crucial in our lifetimes. YIKES!!!!! We feel put out by the gas shortage and higher prices as a result-just imagine when that shortage applies to water. I can cut out unnecessary car trips or even get a more fuel efficient vehicle-but how would we handle water shortage? Drink less? Bathe less? Wear liquid and moisture conserving body suits like the Fremen in the Dune novels? I love the books, but the idea of cleaning my urine and sweat so I can drink it is not high on my list of desirable experiences. The water shortage will occur where ever I am, but at least here I have the Great Lakes to down some of the costs. Also, I am still pretty interested in becoming a Canadian citizen and need to stay close. This is an ideal area to work in the US and live in Canada. Since we make more here and our money is worth more there, as my mom would say.....BONUS!!!!!!!!! Besides which, most of the sci fi novels I have read which deal with ultimate death of the United States as a world power-also show the rise of Canada and I could handle that. The US must ultimately fall as a world power and I truly feel that Bush is helping to bring that about more quickly. It would have happened anyway, but this war is bankrupting us as a nation-I knew this nation was in deep financial doo-doo when I heard we are borrowing money from China. If you add to that the financial burden from the natural disasters occurring back to back, I think the decline is closer than any of us would like to see. We are becoming an aggressive nation and full of ourselves-ok, we have always been that-but we have been a better nation than we are now. So far the rest of the world is sitting by and watching us destroy the oil nations-but as shortages continue and we are the largest consumers and in no real way at all making any TRUE attempts to conserve-these other nations who have beefs against us and valid grudges are going to gang up on us and kick our asses. We are so unprepared too. We care less and invest less in education. I hear people always bitching about foreign doctors-but not seeing the reality that our children are not well educated and dedicated enough to make it out of medical school and that is why we are having so many foreign doctors to begin with.
This nation has never been good at looking to the future and sacrificing now so we can have a better future. Each candidate only wants to tackles issues that will make them look better in the next election-which is one of the reasons for the mess in New Orleans. We are not a forward thinking nation. It will ultimately be our down fall. We are so extremely self centered we do not teach foreign languages in schools-we expect people in the countries we visit to speak our language and yet when people who speak other languages are in this nation we are disdainful and rude to them-because they are in our country and do not speak our language! We are bullies-forcing our way of life on everyone and believing that what we believe and the way we live must ultimately be correct for every nation and every group of peoples. Yet, in this very first nation founded on the forward thinking idea that all of human kind is created equally-we are behind other advanced nations in our freedoms and rights. We can not even agree as a nation on birth control being available to sexually active teens and religion not being taught in publicly funded schools. As a nation we are ignoring real issues-like our dwindling natural resources and failing economy-but putting real effort in an amendment to the constitution to “protect” marriage from homosexuals-sounds like the actions of the free-est nation in the world to me! It is scary. Yet, we ride this rollercoaster and truly feel we are the greatest, free-est, strongest, best-est nation in the history of the world. I can see how what we see contributes to that-our tv shows are seen around the world-Seinfeld is watched in France. Our movies, books and music are seen and read around the world-we set the style and tone for the world-we decide what is "cool" and "hip" and other countries follow suit. Of course, we also get into other countries ideas of cool and hip-like anime and manga as an example. We are a consumer culture and unlike other world powers we have made no real effort to conserve world resources such as water and fossil fuels. We have built our military and perhaps that will lengthen our fall, but not stop it. We will fall long and hard much like the fabled "Rome" we base so many of this nations traditions on. Even if we as a nation were doing everything right and being fair always-we would still fall. All things which rise must also fall and all things-good or bad-must come to an end. Our end as a world power is coming and if it gets really bad I want the resoruces to leave.
Wow, I am major paranoid, no more extinction science fiction for me!
~~~~Where ever you go, There you are!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home