Sunday, September 11, 2005

I see how racism and prejudice can be considered historical differences, but alot of it is what we deal with today. I think people would be fairly surprised to be me for a day. The things people say to me, the attitudes they have. The truly scary part is that the vast majority of the people who make off color comments if you asked them would say they are not racist-they have black friends or perhaps even dated a black person at some point or have a relative who has. Racism is a part of our society-an american tradition-as long as this country has existed and as long as it continues to exist it will be with us and a part of who we are. Things are not for me like they were for my father and will be even better for my daughter. I do not feel in danger or unwelcome-but the attitude is there and the comments are there. It can wear you out if you let it. It was even worse in college-like the Women's Studies prof who told us in class that domestic violence was socially acceptable in the african american community and when I protested told me I was not the spokesperson for the black community. Or my psychology prof who taught a class about how blacks were genetically pre-disposed to be less intelligent than whites. Or my english lit prof who announced that racism had not existed at all in america since the 60's. Not to mention my co-worker who called our black female co workers a bunch of "bitching mammies". Or an employee I directly supervised-jewish-who told me she was not a "nigger slave". I have developed a fairly thick skin and let the vast majority of it roll off my back-but believe you me when I say it is much different than the average person would ever realize.
I also agree that blacks are as racist and prejudiced as the next guy or gal and certainly no nicer about it. I am biracial and definetely had black friends growing up who could not play with me because their parents did not like that my mom was white. I have even more horror stories of stuff my mom went through as a white woman married to a black man-taking all of the "good black men" was the nicest ever said to her. It is no less painful to be treated in a racist or prejudiced manner if the offender is black for sure. I guess the reason it does not really bother me as much is because for most of the places I want to go in life-good education, upper management, better neighborhoods, etc-the people holding all of the power in the upper class in this country are whites, mostly males and so their opinions do not hurt my feelings, they hold me back. For the most part the racist blacks do not have the power to hold me back or hinder my life and so I care less how they view me. My experiences are by no means the experience everyone has, but much like your experiences have shaped who you are, who you have become and the beliefs that you hold, mine have done the same for me. It's all about perspective.
I also agree with the charge of racism-well more prejudice in the handling o the aftermath of Katrina. It was subtle but it was there. From the "looting" black families to the white families who "found" being the most glaring example I can think of. I do not think that help was slower in coming because the victims were black-I believe the help was slow in coming because the victims were poor. However, I think the powers that be were able to get away with it because people-as a nation-care less about blacks, especially poor blacks, than they do other american citizens. I also think that is the main reason so many people have so little sympathy for alot of the victims and blame them for staying so much.

~~~~Where ever you go, There you are.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home