Monday, September 12, 2005

What the f*ck is this "race card" shit? It seems like it is all I hear on the news, in the news papers, at work, in my online communities. I am sick of it and offended by it.
I, too, am sick of people bitching and complaining and race being used as an excuse to not move forward and take charge of your life. That does not mean that racism does not hold people back. It does not mean that things are not more difficult for you in this country if you are not a white male. I think racism plays a part of drug use, prostitution, incarceration and poverty in the black, latino and native american communities. A large and real part, contributing in ways we do not have the means to measure. I do not think it is an excuse nor is it reason enough to NOT succeed. You can take charge of your life and make it your own regardless of what challenges you face. Race, religion, poverty, single parenthood, drugs, divorce, lack of education and job opportunities only hold you back when you allow them to. It may make it more difficult and those issues may hold you back from say holding public office, but it can be done and if you do not it is not anyone's fault but your own.
However, I also do not think that pointing out that the playing field is not equal and that as a "minority" I face challenges that say a white male does not-is equal to me "playing the race card". What exactly is that card anyway? Where is mine? What special privledge is it that this card is supposedly buying me? What advantage does "playing" it gain me? Does this card only apply to black people-I certainly never hear it used in regards to other minorities. I am so sick of hearing that phrase used to dismiss and ignore any mention of racial inequity by black people. When I hear pagans bitch about the way christians treat them, I would never say, "Oh, they are just playing the pagan card." When I hear women bitch about men having unfair advantage in the work force, I never say, "Well, they are just playing the woman card." It is rediculous and offensive and allows real issues to be dismissed without being addressed. The inequalities exist and while it is not an excuse to be in jail or be a drug addict or not take care of your kids, it is very real and not a game at all.
I would also like to point out that while yes, african americans are the most likely minority group to bitch, moan and complain. We are also the most likely minority group to organize and fight-successfully I might add-for equal rights for EVERYONE. (with the exception of gays who blacks seem to fear enough to vote for G.W. Bush) Like that little disclosure on applications that says you can not be discriminated against based on race, religion, sex, color, age, or national origin. That means if you are a pagan, the black movement in this country has benefited you directly. If you are a woman, the black movement in this country has benefited you directly. My white mother holds an affirmative action position-not my black father. I wear my pentacle openly at work and while it may make people I work with uncomfortable there is not a damn thing that can be done thanks to the bitching, moaning and complaining led largely by black folks-who were joined and continue to be joined by non-black folks. I would also like to add that it worked in many ways. Everytime I hear about the redskins and the braves I cringe-it offends me deeply. I will never see in this country the coons and porch monkeys-not on a national team anyway. Why? Because black people would never in a million years stand for it. We may only make up 10% of the population, but when we are upset EVERYONE is going to hear about it. You can call it whatever kind of card suits your fancy, but I bet my daughters life they would change the name of that team from "coon". And quiet as it is kept, all americans-especially those that are not white, male, and christian-benefit from it.
~~~~Where ever you go, there you are.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home