Saturday, September 24, 2005

*****This was posted on a Zen Budhist MSN group for beginners. I found it interesting and very, very true. It is why I feel free to take from Zen Buddhism that which suits me and let the rest fall by the wayside-it is unnecesary for me. I definetely agree that to become too attached is to engage the ego and who can simply "be" when that is engaged? Too often I allow myself to become too focused on the mundane, bullshit aspects of life. That is no big deal in the long run, but I realize how it negatively impacts on my ability to live in this moment-right now. This moment is where I should be living and focused-not to the exclusion of past moments or without thought to future moments-but right now, right here, this moment-enjoy this moment, this moment is your life.

Our 'true nature' is the fundamental state of the human mind (or of all mammals, and all forms of life). Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, etc. are techniques to use to allow us to discover our original nature. There primary benefit is to reveal to us that this actually exists within us, or to remind us of it, and to show us some techniques (meditation) to help us in our re-discovery and awareness of it.

Our original nature exists independent of Buddhism, etc. A problem I see is we can become wrapped up in Zen or whatever, and that elaborate system with its traditions, doctrines, rites, may eventually become another burden for us. We may carry Buddha around with us, showing it to everyone a little pridefully.

It's a balancing act in a way, and knowing human psychology, sometimes a little difficult to keep balanced properly. To me, we must from the very beginning recognize that Buddhism and all its trappings are not too important. If it helps us, ok, but it's just a boat we use to carry us to the other shore. We must row ourselves, and discard the boat upon our arrival. It may or may not be a long journey, but it's a pretty plain boat, just some wood, and it may be distracting if we begin to study every plank and joint along the way. The boat may become so interesting to us, we may even forget to row!

Once we have some understanding, or a 'feeling' of this original nature thingy, that's the important part. Some formal training or more reading and talking about Zen may help, if it does that's good. But I think it's also important to consider honestly for ourselves whether some '-ism' is becoming more meaningful for us than its original purpose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home