Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The Nigger Incident Part 2

A~~ May 1, 2006

Today in my 4th hour science class I was sitting in my assigned seat and Jackie V. sits next to me. Jackie was talking about a black squirrel in Casey Noble’s backyard that he and his friend named squigger. I asked Jackie not to say that anymore. Not only did she keep saying it but she then called me a squigger. I asked her to stop repeatedly. She would stop for a minute and keep doing it and then stop again, this continued until we left for lunch.
After lunch when we were back in science she called me a squigger again and I let it go again. I was getting angry.
Then Jackie said, “Hey guys I wonder what they would call a gay squirrel?”
I said, “That’s really mean”.
Then she said, “A jigger.”
I said, “You can’t say that!” I was angry because it was too close to the word nigger.
Then she said, “Why, because it has the word nigger in it?”
I was very mad that she used the word nigger.
I said, “If you can’t say jigger, you definitely can’t say that!” Then I told her I did not want to hear her say that again. She started saying it over and over again, “Nigger, nigger, nigger, you’re a nigger”.
I was very upset and mad and wanted to fight. Zeke sits across from me and he told me to go tell on her so she would get in trouble because what she said was mean.
As soon as class was over I went to the counseling office. I told Mrs. Bieterman, “I have a problem. Can I see a principal, somebody in the office, a counselor, somebody.” She told me I had to fill out a slip and bring it back. I stayed there and filled the slip out turned it in right then.
I went to my next class like I was supposed to. I was mad and wanted something done so I went to the office and called my mom at work to tell her what happened. After I talked to my mom I went back to class.
Mrs. Suhajda called me about my locker but I thought it was about the slip. After we figured out what was wrong with the locker, she let me tell her what happened. I told her what happened with Jackie. Mrs. Suhajda said it definitely sounded racist and asked me if I could handle meeting with Jackie in the room or if I wanted to wait in another room. I said I wanted to meet with Jackie in the room and if I could not handle it I would say so. I felt like Mrs. Suhajda understood how upset I was.
Then Jackie was called down to talk to us. Jackie said she was talking about a squirrel named Squigger which was somebody’s pet. She said that the squirrel wasn’t black it was just a regular squirrel. She said that she never remembered saying anything about a gay squirrel called jigger. She said that she never said the word nigger that she would never say that and she doesn’t like that word. She also said that she has a lot of African-American friends, why would she call me that.
Mrs. Suhajda agreed with Jackie but said that she was not ruling out my opinion. She also made Jackie apologize for saying Squigger and said that she did not want us fighting about a misunderstanding. What misunderstanding, I know what I heard. I did not want her to apologize for saying the word Squigger it was being called a nigger that I wanted an apology for. I felt that I was not being treated fairly and frustrated that Mrs. Suhajda did not believe me. She is my counselor and she is supposed to be on everyone’s side. Why would I lie about Jackie? She and I had been friendly before she called me a nigger and why would I lie to get her into trouble?
Mrs. Suhajda sent Jackie back to class. I tried to explain to Mrs. Suhajda that Jackie lied. I told her that other people in the class heard what she said about the squirrel and that the squirrel was in Casey Noble’s back yard not his pet. Then Mrs. Suhajda said that she could not do anything about it until she had a chance to talk to the other people and get back to me. She said that unless some one else overheard Jackie calling me nigger she was not going to do anything about it. So basically I was lying unless someone else over heard it. Mrs. Suhajda gave me a pass and I went back to class.
I was late getting to my third hour. I waked in, set my stuff down. After the teacher stopped talking I went over to talk to K about what happened and how Jackie lied in Mrs. Suhajda’s office. K said that she already knew that Jackie lied to Mrs. Suhajda because she heard Jackie telling someone, “A called me down to the counseling office just because I said nigger and squigger and jigger.” I told the sub I needed to go back to the counseling office. I went back to the counseling office to let Mrs. Suhajda know what K overheard. She was with another student so I filled out another slip but this time I wrote on the back what happened in case she could not get back to me. I did not get a chance to speak to Mrs. Suhajda again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home